Organic Mortgage Lifter Tomato (Solanum lycopersicum) Indeterminate
We gotta hand it to Marshall Cletis Byles aka “Radiator Charlie” for his exceptional work on the Mortgage Lifter. To keep his head above water during the depression, “Radiator Charlie” took to tomato breeding, crossing heirloom varieties until he created this superb beefsteak – robust (16-24 oz. fruit), remarkably flavorful, and vigorous. It’s rumored that Charley paid off his mortgage and weathered the 1930s by selling his famous tomato seeds – as spectacular today as they were back then. .
- 25 seeds minimum
- Germination: 6-10 days
- Maturity: 80 days
- Start indoors 6 weeks before the last frost. Plant 1/4" deep in seed starting mix. Requires soil temperatures of 75-85F to germinate. Heating mat is recommended. Keep soil moist.
- Transplant in full sun when all danger of frost has passed. Bury deep, planting the entire stem leaving only top leaves above ground.
- Space plants 2-3' apart; space rows 3-4' apart.
- Mortgage Lifter is a heavy feeder, compost generously.
- Supports/trellises are needed.
1 Review Hide Reviews Show Reviews
We planted two plants late in the season and suffered some neglect due to sickness on my part and yet today I was regaled with some beautiful tomatoes. They are huge, beautifully pink and are very tasty, not the strongest flavored tomato, but meaty and juicy and not acid. We are very pleased and grow more next year. A word of caution, though: the plants are huge as well, so plan accordingly.